Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Leaving

I am faced with my move to Sydney, Australia. It is in less than a month, and will happen on Valentine's Day.

I haven't really processed the information yet - it is hard to come to terms with it...I will be leaving a lot of what I love (and also a lot of what I hate) behind. Most importantly, I will be leaving my dear mother.

Of course, my most immediate emotion is excitement. I can't wait to start a new life in a new city with new people, but I am also filled with a sense of loss. I don't think I'll ever come back to live permanently in the house I am in, anymore.The little things that are mine now, like all my books, my framed pictures, the little knick knacks that I bought in flea markets whenever I found something cute, etc. My crumbled violin Rosin (Pirastro Goldflex) that I like to pick at when i'm bored, the box of coloured pencils I use on my wall sometimes, the old bicycle wheel that I'm hanging on my wall now, my (very expensive!) mirror...

Basically, those are all the things that made me comfortable in my own space. They made my space what it is now. I will have to start an entire new book collection, CD collection, picture album, etc. Everything new. Maybe even a new me?

I'm going to make a list of what I'm going to have to BUY (not BRING, note to self) before I leave.

ELECTRONICS
A new laptop (a cool black thing from HP)


Three pen drives for all my written work (2 GBs each)


A new mic+headset thingy. A cute mini one if I can find one.


A new mouse so I don't wreck the touch pad of my new laptop


MAYBE a new phone because I'm using a dinosaur right now.




VIOLIN-/MUSIC-RELATED STUFF
A set of new Pirastro Evah Pirazzi Strings


MAYBE a little tuner because my perfect pitch is becoming a bit imperfect


String Cleaner - A MUST


Develop some important pictures to go into case, eg. Mom, Kevin, music nerds :)


A small notebook for notes




CLOTHING/ACCESORIES
2 pairs of normal simple everyday non-descript trousers (choose from brown, black, navy blue)


1 denim skirt


MAYBE one bag. Which will hold a small laptop. However, I do own that lovely Crumpler...perhaps bag scouting shall be done in Sydney.


Extra socks and underwear - A MUST


White T shirts (again, normal simple everyday non-descript ones)


Black T shirts (again, normal simple everyday non-descript ones)


Perhaps new pair of sandals as soles of current pair are kind of worn out after all that running on the beach


Flip Flops




So...thats what I have for now. Does anyone have any suggestions/additons? (email me! lol )


I went to this place called Low Yat Plaza today - its apparently the largest place where electronic buying and selling occurs, and I went to check out all the laptops there.


<---- Low Yat Plaza Entrance


It was pretty fun but I wish I brought a companion for opinions and a nice chat. And coffee. And since I was there till pretty late, dinner as well.
<---- Hawker

The plaza is at this place called Star Hill, and its very touristy and commercialized. There is a row of hawker stalls there that sells very high-calorie high-fat food - very delicious if enjoyed with a lot of chinese people who know how to order the good stuff.











It just doesn't work when I try to order in English. I need to bring a strong willed Chinese friend with me when i eat at hawker stalls. I didn't eat at a hawker stall today though - its no use going alone.


Anyway, thats that for today.


I ate sushi and grilled chicken and some salad for dinner today :)









No comments: