Monday, December 24, 2007

The Religion of the Ring

There is a ring, and there are people inside it. You are inside it too.

I'm standing outside the ring and watching everyone inside the ring. I'm wondering whether its better to be in a ring or out of a ring, and I decide that I'm better off outside. The ring looks like a happy place to be at first - the people inside it feel a sense of camaraderie and belonging, and everyone feels as though everyone is a part of a large family.

But a ring has boundaries. If a person is inside a ring, he stays there. He feels emotionally tied to the ring, and physically, it becomes a burden to force a foot to step on ground outside the ring.

I'm not in the ring. I walk alone and that gives me the freedom to watch other people in other rings, and learn about them. I am an observer.

I used to want to be with someone in a ring. I was attracted to the matter-of-factness and straightforward ideas of this someone. Then I discovered that, possibly, this person, however perfect he seemed, is confined in a ring. I do not want to love a ringperson. He does not appreciate the freedom to roam.

He does not desire what I desire. I want travel, spice, romance, boldness and passion - I want big stories and big achievements. I want the kind of events which swell your chest up with all kinds of uncontainable emotions. I want to ride a rough journey and face a dazzling finale to it. I don't need to belong. I need experience.

No comments: